Thursday, April 17, 2008

goings on in my corner...

...so, this pigeon (species not indigenous to our area) flew into my backyard to take a bath in my teenie water fall. He is pudgy and throws water everywhere while he is bathing. I was quietly reading from my swing, so I don't think he knew I was watching, until I giggled. He swung his head around and gave me the "evil eye."

duh duh duh, duhnnn

(pigeon's have scary eyes?)

"Well, excuse me." I dryly responded.

"And hey, that's my waterfall you're wobbling in."

He promptly jumped out, shook his feathers and decided that I wasn't a threat, so he began enjoying the sun and exploring my grass. Now, only those of you who are old enough to remember the puppet Bert from the children's show "Sesame Street" can appreciate the humor in watching this pigeon walk around my yard. He was 'doin the' (knee jerk) 'pigeon'... I smiled at the fond memory and watched Mr. Pige until he decided I was boring company.

Baxter Binx proves to be a very entertaining puppy. He thinks he's Mr. Bad Dude, against my other dog Ellie, who is very lady like. Again, we are in the backyard, it's early morning, enjoying the peace and quiet that is our neighborhood...when this arrogant blue jay swoops down and pokes Baxter on the head!...he SCREAMS(like a girl)!

And I say,"Hey YOU... YOU'RE mean!"

I then proceeded to stand there(did I tell you I was in my pj's?)and yell at this bird, who is now perched on my roof, mocking me...and I'm wagging my finger at him with one hand, consoling my wounded puppy(just his ego)with the other hand, until...I hear this...manly...chuckle...uh......slyly trying to look around...dang, there's someone next door in their backyard!....

"So, there!" I quickly finish...and promptly slipped into my house.

(pretend picture is here)
(you will soon use your imagination :)

I love braids, I love to make them and unmake them, on myself, or someone else, it doesn't matter, I love braids. So, one night as I am watching TV, I took my then wet hair from the shower and proceeded to put a bunch of tiny little braids all over my head. (Yes, I'm a full grown woman and I know this sounds like something a child would do, but I think we've already established that I am a nerd.) I laughed, my husband laughed and I went to bed that way. (Hey, my arms hurt by then)

So, the next morning I wake up in braids with the additional boing of newly loose stray hairs that dry curly on my head and at 9:30am the doorbell rings. I peek and see that it is the Postman with my recent medicine order, that legally needs to be signed for. Now, this man has seen me in practically every form of dress you can think of, but never with braids streaming willy nilly from my skull?! In a panic I think(crap!)and I opened the door. I was blushing scarlet red and he opened his mouth to speak and nothing came out. I smiled...took the pen and board from his hand, signed it and then grabbed the medicine box saying,

"Thank you," while quickly closing the door before he could respond.

I leaned my back against the door while holding the box over my now pounding heart and (darn it!)...he just stood there for a moment. Now, you know what he was thinking and I know what he was thinking...I just hope that my entire small little postcard country town doesn't know what we were all thinking...sheesh!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mary Timme said...

Of these things a life is knit. . . and somewhat unraveled????? :D

5:08 PM  
Blogger sweet expressions said...

Darlene you are a scream!





hugs always

7:44 PM  
Blogger Silvia said...

:D this stories just lightened up my morning!

By the way, Bert is still very much a part of the dutch sesame street. I love the bits about the pigeons :)

you've gotta love youtube :D

here's a video about bert and pigeon bernice counting to 10

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ED5wg1Yf7cc&feature=related

and here's the same video but in dutch if you're interested in learning to count to 10 in dutch :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cXah3OxaJ6A&feature=related

much love to you
xoxo

(i'm going to watch some more sesame street now *giggle*)

10:57 PM  
Blogger shinyruby2 said...

haha!! I love this... and yep, i remember the 'doin the pigeon' haha xxx

2:07 AM  
Blogger Shaz said...

I am laughing so hard right now I too remember bert doing the pigeon thats just too funny and I love braids aswell Danicka had hair down to bum by the time she was 3 and she used to lay and sit patiently for hours while I did her hair in braids OHhhh those were the days. I still do the girls and did Taylas just last week 4 hours lol she fell asleep and I woke her when I was done.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene... you are too funny! I love the bird stories... one of my friends who decided to ahve her head a few years ago (no she didn't have chemo... just likes he look)was out working in her back yard and a couple of doves landed on her head and started pecking at it. It was hilarious!

I love braids... when I was a little girl I had long hair and my Vavo used to braid my wet hair before I went to bed when I stayed over. What memories that brings back... her wonderfully soft feather bed that always smelled so wonderful.

I hope that you are feeling well..

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

I have no idea what either of you might have been thinking. However, the effort to imagine your new hair style has brought me a lot of amusing visions of the look.

snerx.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

And, no matter what, Let the inner child come out an play as often as possible.

11:02 AM  
Blogger sandy said...

hahahahaha...thought to stop by and see how you are doing and I read this about the braids..cracked me up!!!

And love the story about the pigeon.

Hope all is well with you.

sandy

8:09 PM  
Blogger LEstes65 said...

Hahahahahahaha! Oh that is too fun.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home