Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Small World




"It's a small world after all"

"He's got the whole world
in His hands"


"The world is right at you're fingertips"


"I feel now, as never before, that a poem is the condensed power of all human abilities, and that its ideal lies in the power of language to transcend itself." ~ Edvard Kocbek ~


The three quotes above most of us have heard at one time or another, but right now, like never before, have I felt that this world truly is a smaller place. Just the fact that I am in close personal contact with people literally all over this world, is an amazing concept to me.

The forth quote is about the power of our words in their creative form. How something can be written down and actually impact someone's life and that's power with a force. We share our stories, sorrows, dreams and hopes in this space, our little carved out community. And whether we realize it yet or not, we need each other, more today than yesterday because this world has been made smaller through tragedy. Think about this for just one moment, if life were simple and easy, if we weren't all born with that empty space inside longing to be filled, if we knew what the future held, then we would have no need to seek. It is because we seek, that we write and writing is just one of the ways to analyze our lives. And because we seek, we find each other and we say things to each other because we want to make connections. I don't think we all expect to connect with everyone, but if we can connect with just a handful and we say, "Hey, I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but whatever it is, I'm here to encourage you." Then we make this world a better place and that's worth protecting. Our connections, our friendships, are worth protecting. So, I choose my words carefully and in doing that, I hold this world very respectfully in the palms of my hands.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kim G. said...

Well said and bless you for the encouraging words. It is a great "community" - blogging. I had such a tough day and even though it's late and I should be in bed, the words of my blogging friends are filling me up to face tomorrow. Thanks!

12:30 AM  
Blogger che said...

i know what tommorrow will bring .
it will bring another day of living.

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your words always fill me up with joy and wisdom, d...

i couldn't agree more with what you've said here, and i love how you ended with "i choose my words carefully". that's such a powerful, gentle decision to make.

that picture, too - is just fabulous.

love you.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear!
My sweet friend.
I do not have the gift with words that you have.
I love the way that you and Susannah, Deni, Leonie, Andrea, Jen and Amy all write so beautifully.
It is magical at times.
Really.
I appreciate reading your words because such poetry does not come to me easily.
My blog is more of a visual one... less of the D & Ming kinda stuff, tho sometimes I go there.
Just not as well as all of you do.
So I stick with my scrappin'
Scrapping Rocks.
And I know through this medium that I have met some real spiritual sisters... and when we meet in person, the connection we have made will be wholistic.
And wonderful.
That is what tomorrow brings...
(((hugs)))
Bx

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am right there with you thinking about these same things! the magic of connecting with those who are so like-minded...all together in this little universe :)...xo

5:16 AM  
Blogger mint and orange said...

it's amazing, isn't it? this blogging world of ours. and to think, without it, we might never have met. i might never have known your world, your creativity and the heart that you share with us.

you're a treasure!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. And the words you "chose carefully" to say it are so eloquent. I appreciate your positive, supportive, encouraging words both here and in my comments. You are a true gem.

10:37 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

from one seeker to another...thank you for seeking :-)
(we're going to have to bind up all your words of wisdom between two beautiful covers some day...)

with love x x x x x

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so beautifully said, as always. While I have had my blog for over a year, I am just now connecting with you beautiful and poetic women, and I have to say that it does fill a space in me that was empty. It gives me joy, and it gives me renewed faith in people. There are loving, soulful, real people out in the world.

You are one of them....xoxoxox

12:31 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Beautiful post and I love that top photo!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

The photos are beautiful.
Your writing extrodinary, I would love to express ny self with such ease and beauty.
Hugs and blessings
Shaz

3:07 PM  
Blogger Alex S said...

Thank you so, so much for this post- was exactly what I needed to read. Samuel Beckett said "Words are all we have," but they are so very precious, and as much as our words impact each other I need to be reminded to write to myself too because those times I actually can manage to sit down when I am struggling and journal it is always useful and healing, and tonight I am shutting off my computer and going to do that right now- tough questions & answers I have to be with instead of avoiding. And YOUR words are a healing balm. I hope you know that. I cherish your blog and posts dearly.

12:10 AM  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Beautiful sentiment ... and, so true. We are here to seek, to grow, to learn and to share in that process, to encourage, help, listen, and understand. And in doing so we give to ourselves, and others, a beautiful gift.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that idea about faith without seeing. Such a beautiful, worthwhile idea. I will try to remember that on the days when my faith in the things I cannot see is shaky.

Once again you are a source of inspiration and hope. Thank you for sharing!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Funny how the "ripples" on the pond keep spreading and fanning out over the water...I appreciate the kind support I've been given and feel as though I am going deeper on the page b/c I can witness, first hand, that others are on the journey-path beside me. Thank you for this...

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home